Monday, June 23, 2014

sweet summertime.

Hard to believe that June is almost over, right?  As a teacher, I feel as if my summer is already flying by me and I'll be back to work before no time.  Those of you who aren't teachers are thinking I should count my blessings.  I get it, trust me.  So, this summer, I'm trying to change my focus.  Rather than focus on the time flying by me, I'm trying to view these couple of months as a time to rejuvenate...to feel renewed so I can give 100% to the next group of students.  It'll be hard for the next group to live up to this last group.  They gave me a real run for my money, but stole my heart in the process.

So, what is going on in the life of a teacher out for the summer?  I've already encountered moments of JOY and some moments of disappointment (more to come on that later).  I've spent time with friends and family.  I've read some wonderful books.  I've sipped my coffee in the morning...slowly, might I add.  I've watched reruns after reruns of Criminal Minds and SVU.  I've walked the dogs.  I'm teaching Zumba.  My brother might say I'm "living the dream."  He always did have a smart mouth ;)
Miller is enjoying an afternoon walk with mommy.
Enjoying live music and drinks with my mother-in-law.  Love downtown Greenville!
Ok, so let's get the disappointment out of the way first...Just before school got out, I interviewed for a position with the school district and...yep, they didn't choose me.  I know what you're thinking--"How could they not choose HER?!" I'm only kidding.  But seriously, rejection can really take a toll on a person.  It's like a break up; even if you know you don't belong with that person, the breakup is still hard.  It can cause one to think all sorts of things--What is wrong with me? What did someone else have to offer that I didn't? The list could go on.  BUT, in thinking and praying about the situation, I've come to a realization.  They didn't choose me for the position because God has chosen something else for me. I find a tremendous amount of peace in knowing that my future rests in His hands, and not in the hands of people.  In addition, I also realize that I will be back in the classroom with a new group of students who need love and structure and sometimes, only sometimes, the wrath of Mrs. Lansche ;) Alright, so that's out of the way...

A couple of weekends ago, my mom came for a visit.  This came at just the right time because I needed to see her.  I was feeling like a 10 year old off at summer camp who is super homesick.  That was me.  Needless to say, we had a great time together shopping and eating and just enjoying one another's company.

Visits with mom always include good drinks.

We went downtown Friday night to listen to live music...such a good time!

My good friend, Steph joined us too.

Saturday morning, Mom and I headed back downtown to check out the farmer's market.  I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't been since we moved here last summer.  They have an awesome selection of organic produce and the prices are very reasonable!  Mom and I stopped for a cup of fresh peach apricot tea and it didn't disappoint.  




 Later that day, I drove mom out to our lot so she could see the progress on the house.  We stopped for lunch at Stella's Southern Bistro, a local restaurant that everyone raves about.  Holy cow, it was delish! I enjoyed a Fried Green Tomato BLT and mom had a Pimento Cheese Burger; we shared them both.  We enjoyed fried okra as an appetizer.  Needless to say, I was feeling slightly overweight when we left...no biggie though. 



It's coming right along! Bo and I drove back over there after church yesterday and they've made even more progress...


We are super excited to get in our new place and feel settled.  Renting is no fun, especially when your rent is as sky high as ours!  Yikes.

In addition to this house business and visits with mom, my teammate and friend married her best friend. She was stunning!  Danessa was my date, and we had a great time celebrating her big day.

I know this is a super-lengthy post, but I've got two more things to share with you before I go.  

First things first.  She Reads Truth is an online community of women who are committed to growing closer to Jesus through studying and sharing the Word.  There is a handful of women who manage the site and write the plans for each study.  I wanted to share this with you mainly because I'm that person who struggles to read the Bible...I struggle with knowing where to start, what to read, how to interpret it all, etc.  Each study carries you through the Word, giving deeper meaning to the text while also providing life applications.  It is amazing, and I recommend anyone who is seeking to grow in their faith to check this out.  The women behind the study are committed to reading the Word alongside you...what more can you ask for, right?


Ok, last thing, I promise.  I read a lot of blogs and one thing I always look for is a good book recommendation.  I absolutely love to read, and now that it is summertime, I actually have the opportunity and the time.  I'd seen the same book recommendation come up on many blogs, so I finally bit the bullet and went to Barnes and Nobles to purchase it.  Probably the best $15 I've ever spent.  Redeeming Love is a story that will leave you changed, literally.  I don't want to give any of it away because I think that every woman should read this story at least once for herself.  I promise you that you will not regret reading it.  I felt I could relate to the story in so many ways.  It is a story of how God's unconditional, redemptive, and all-consuming love can restore anyone's soul...even yours and mine.  


Now, go enjoy some of this sweet summertime...don't waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment